Sightseeing
Sunday I took a bus ride out to el Santuario Atotonilco with one of the other American volunteers, Jennifer, who is going to be down here for another couple of weeks. Since there is so much tourism in these parts, many of these holy places have been turned into corrals of people with cameras in hand, talking amongst each other. I was hoping to find a place nearby to pray, but looks like that might not be the case! Oh well.
Today, after venturing to the Jardín in the center of town to pick up a copy of Atención, the local newspaper, I happened upon el Centro Cultural Ignacio Ramirez (a.k.a. Bellas Artes). It was empty and tranquil, and some students were practicing classical guitar and piano upstairs. It's located next to the church called "Las Monjas" and used to be a convent, but now offers art classes and opens its galleries to the public for viewing. It was definitely a "find"--it just transports you to another place, away from the barking dogs and the noise of trucks barrelling through.
Hogar de los Ángeles
With nearly all the kids at the Santa Julia location out with varicela still, I've decided to just stay at the original center with Marisol's two-year old class. This week has been a lot less glorious and a lot more 'real'--poop on the floor, two puking episodes, peeing of the pants, food fights.. It's actually been pretty exhausting, and sometimes I feel at the point of losing patience. How do parents do it? :)
L to R: Ángel, Fernando, Erik
Although most of the children come from single-mother, working families, the above three boys are an exception. All three live in Casa Hogar Don Bosco, which is an orphanage run by Dominican nuns.
Ángel: Ángel, as a baby, was found abandoned by the highway, and to this day has an acute fear of cars. Early on I noticed signs of delayed development and symptoms of what might be mild Tourette's syndrome: muscle twitches, arm flapping, always having something in his mouth, screaming for no reason and limited verbal expression and affect. Later on I found out that he is really five years old, but in the two-year old class. Marisol described him as torpe (clumsy), and many times he has spilled things, hit or harmed others on accident. However, he is a very happy child, laughing. His favorite thing to do is make clear which things are his and which things belong to others, "Mío. ¿Es tuyo? ¿Tuyo?"
Fernando: Fernando is also old to be in the class, four instead of two. He comes from a family of five children, all in the orphanage system because their mother is an alcoholic and cannot care for them. He is still being potty trained, and has had three accidents since I've first met him. At times he can be very disobedient and grosero (rude), throwing his socks at me during changing time, lifting his hand up to hit peers or teachers when he doesn't like what is being said to him. Yet, it seems to me that what he needs most is some TLC, some uplifting words and a gentle touch. "Todos necesitan cariño. Todos," (They all need affection, all of them) Marisol said to me today, when telling me more about the three.
Prayer Requests
Please pray for Ángel, Fernando and Erik--for their adoptive situations, that they would be cared for well, that they would grow up to be strong, healthy, happy boys.
Please pray that I would be able to love and treasure these children in a way that would please the Lord. There are definitely trying moments, though, so this is no small task! I want to see my time with these kids as a gift, and to appreciate every little thing, every little blessing.
Please also pray that I would be able to connect more with the mothers of the other children and earn their trust. One of the biggest things I wanted to do was to be able to get to know the mothers--not just the kids. Please pray for opportunities to talk with them!
Thanks again for all of your support! I love hearing from all of you.
Hi, April,
ReplyDeleteIt is great reading about your experiences there and thank you for sharing with us about Angel, Fernando, and Erik, three lovely boys. I will pray for each of them and for you to be able to interact with them in a loving way. I appreciate your being candid about the "realness" of your helping at the daycare. I am sure there have been some challenging situations to say the least. :o)
Have a restful and enjoyable weekend and be sure and take time for yourself to rest and recuperate!
Mum
Hi April,
ReplyDeleteI love hearing about your days there. The videos are so great. I have seen how God has blessed you through this experience. The kids are so cute. Thanks for taking the time to give us detailed insight on each of the kids. We look forward to meeting all of them. We will be praying for you and the children. God is so good and faithful. I'm so glad you have had time to visit parts of the city and learn more about the art and culture there.
Have a great weekend
Love,
Dad
April,
ReplyDeleteWhat a gift your blog is to us here at home. And what a gift you are to the children. Thank you.
Your precious heart shines through in your requests for prayer. We are standing with you, April, as you act as Jesus' hands and feet and ears where your are.
Please take good care of yourself.
Ann S.
I'm glad we had the chance to talk with you over Skype yesterday. It was good to hear more about your experiences there and good to read about them here, too. Will continue to pray for you and the kids.
ReplyDeleteUncle Ron
thanks for the update, april! it's great reading your observations
ReplyDeletePraying for you, especially in the management of those adorable(!) orphans. I understand completely what you are saying about wanting your moments with them to be meaningful, even though you have to manage their not quite so delightful behaviors. Thanks so much for posting pictures! May you have times of tranquility this weekend.
ReplyDeleteHi April,
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading your blog anout the 3 orphan boys. You obviously have a heart for these kids. It isn't easy to love a child who acts out, but those are the ones who probably need love the most. You are a blessing to them and to us. I will pray for the boys and for you.