Gearin' Up for Graduation!
A lot of practice means a lot of time out on the patio--a lot of downtime. Earlier this week Yoselin, Diana and Jimena decided to peinarme--do my hair. After awhile, peinarme just meant tugging at my hair--three pairs of hands tugging in three different directions. Ya no, por favor, I had to ask.
| Marisol with Jair, Beto & the mother of Lupita |
Unexpected Goodbye
Fernando meticulously "writing" Marisol's dictation of the day's weather
Friday morning as the kids were settling into their seats to get ready for breakfast, Marisol began counting heads, noting that we had ten instead of the usual eleven. ¿Quién falta? "Who's missing?" Ah.. Fernando.. Erik's voice piped in, Se fue al doctor "He went to the doctor." Soon we had in hand the doctor's note, typewritten, communicating that Fernando had hepatitis. Doctor's orders: bedrest for eight days. Bedrest for eight days=no Fernando at the graduation. Bedrest for eight days=Fernando is never coming back to Hogar de los Angeles (he's moving onto kindergarten!). I was kind of crushed and sad at this sudden news! I didn't get to say goodbye. :( Prayers for him healing quickly and a good beginning in kínder.
Fun Stuff
Curry Night with Christine and Sammy (from CA)
Had a wonderful time cooking with a couple of the volunteers on Tuedsay. Christine's mom sent her Vermont curry blocks in a care package. Mmm. It was too watery, but we didn't care. By the way, the beer is Christine's, not mine. Afterwards we watched Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley because Sammy was dying for anything in English--anything she could understand. We'll both be leaving on the same day; she's been great company. :)
Took a big ol' hike up to the Botanical Gardens El Charco del Ingenio today. Got lost a couple of times yet was blessed by charitable people who pointed me in the right direction. I felt my energy being restored as the sounds of the city faded away. The nature reserve is huge, with many trails and many protected species of cacti. Best of all, it was nearly deserted. The entire time I was there I only crossed paths with two other people. What a gift for an introverted, nature-addicted girl like me.
Today I was just praying and thinking about how absolutely incredible it is that I am here, that I have been able to meet so many different people and have so many new experiences. I mean, yesterday I had youth from the church over to the house--we were talking in pure Spanish. We ate popcorn and crepes with ice cream and watched 17 Again. To me that's just cool--to really feel part of the community here. To know the Mexican people here has been so awesome! I feel blessed to know each one.
April,
ReplyDeleteOnce again, reading your post makes me feel like I'm there with you. It's hard to believe your time there is almost over.
The photo of the little girls pulling on your hair is precious, especially the look on your face! Its a keeper.
Will the graduation be recorded somehow? Hope we can see at least a part of it.
I'm glad you have some English-speaking companions, to share your experiences. Such a rich opportunity you've been given. It sounds like you're making the best of all of it.
I preached the sermon this morning at Presby. I'm sure glad that's over.
I'm sure you're looking forward to your parents' visit. Enjoy the time with them, in your special place. We all miss you.
Ann S.
Just read Ann's post. She did a great job bringing us the message this morning at Presby.
ReplyDeleteEven as your time with some of these kids is winding down, I'm sure it's feeling that way for your time in Mexico. Glad you will be seeing your mom and dad soon though. We all just had lunch for a second celebration of Grandpa Don's birthday.
Hi April, I've finally caught up with all your blog posts. What a wonderful journey you're on. I've enjoyed reading about all your adventures and your interactions with the kids and all your new friends.
ReplyDeleteAnn did give the message this morning at Presby and it made me rethink the way I pray. It was all about asking God to provide our DAILY bread...to meet our basic needs each day. We don't need to ask Him for tomorrow's needs today. I like that. Especially when I pray for others. I told my friend I would pray for her son's safe return from Afghanistan. After hearing Ann's message, I realize that praying once for his safe return in the future is not good enough. I need to pray every day for God to watch over Kevin and keep him safe TODAY. Likewise when I pray for you, it is for the Lord to bless you TODAY. What an awesome privilege to go to God daily like that.