25 August 2013

Settling In!

I was planning on waiting until I'd completed a full week of work before blogging, but the past few days have been super full, and I want to tell you about them!

As many of you know, I arrived here in Mexico on Thursday, August 22. Everything went well: both flights were on time, all baggage arrived safe and sound, and the people I sat next to on the plane were polite and considerate. It was surreal to be picked up by Donna and Miguel. As we chatted in the car, I noted how the area in only three years has developed quite a bit. My Spanish was a bit rusty, but thankfully Miguel was understanding. As Volunteer Coordinator, I am now certificada as part of the Casa de los Angeles family. Awesome!!

Friday was spent doing errands and Donna did a "brain dump" with me to explain how everything works. I already have a list of things that I want to attack starting tomorrow. The neurotic organizer within me is jumping for joy. I hope to build upon the tracking systems for volunteers, because it is very dynamic with the frequent comings and goings.

On Friday I was struck with how special this job is. Donna took me and all the other nine volunteers out to dinner, and it was fascinating to note how kind of random and unique our group was. I mean, just imagine with me: you've got me, Donna, a Japanese woman who lives in Australia, a couple from Ireland, two college students from the West Coast, an older adult female who grew up in West Seattle (surprisingly enough), a Swedish woman that's married to a Mexican man, and a young man from Denmark. In what other context would such a diverse group gather?

After dinner we stayed up chatting together, comparing our differing cultural values, senses of humor, pop culture, and legal and educational systems. It was absolutely fascinating. Did you know that in Denmark the primary targets of racism are Iranians? And in Ireland to get into a specific university concentration, admission is based solely on a point system on five different standardized subject tests based on the student's choosing?

It's been a relief to have such good volunteers as I am trying to get a hang of things. The unique thing about receiving volunteers is that since they are paying out of pocket to be here, the people that are attracted to this kind of thing are already pretty aware at least on some level...and value helping others. Volunteers are self-selecting to participate, so I'm seeing that most of them are very motivated to be of service.

Today I went to church! The location has changed and would you believe it, it's only a seven minute walk away. No more having to climb flights and flights of stairs just to reach the hotel! This new location is in a basement, for which reason Cristina calls it the "catacombs," but I think it's pretty cool. What struck me is that I was only one of two Americans present, and that there are lots of new families and young people. Apart from the Martinez family (the pastor's family), the other people I met while I was here in 2010 have moved on to other churches. As always, the church is a place of great welcoming and it was inspiring to see all the chairs filled; the place was so full that the young men had to sit on the floor while Tomas preached.

It was great to catch up with Tomas, Cristina, David and Rebeca. I didn't know this, but Cristina is leading a homeschool group for a group of young people, on top of organizing several different church gatherings. Mondays: Youth. Wednesdays: Adult Bible study. Thursdays: Prayer. This Saturday: Women. It's remarkable that the family can manage to do so much! I visited their home after church with the youth from the school and a couple of their old friends from Queretaro. It was a special time of sharing, and again I was struck at how special it was to have a cultural exchange with them as I explained my own heritage and family history. The couple from Queretaro told me that they really respect Japanese culture because there's so much emphasis on honor, discipline and hard work. That was interesting to me!

I'm looking forward to my first "official" day at the daycare tomorrow. I dropped by on Friday briefly and was able to say hello to Ana (the cook) and Vero (who was a mom at the daycare in 2010 but has since been hired on as a teacher).

Sorry no pictures yet. Hopefully soon! Thanks for following me in my adventures.

To my friends and family: I miss you, and thank you for keeping in touch with me. Drop me an email whenever!

9 comments:

  1. april! sorry my comment didn't post earlier...
    i'm so glad u got to go to church today. isn't it awesome how jesus' family is everywhere/we have family no matter where we go in the world and no matter what language we speak?! thanks for the updates...keep em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you're here!!!!!!
    Lots of love,
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you're here!!!!!!
    Lots of love,
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, April, thank you for the update! I am so glad church is closer than before and that you were able to re-connect with the Martinez family. We look forward to hearing about your first official day of work. Sounds like you are already making a difference there! God bless you, my beloved daughter. I love you and I miss you! Like your cousin Jess says, keep those updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April,

    Sound like you are picking up where you left off. You seem so comfortable where you are at even though it has been 3 years. Praise God for making the transition easy. Praise God for Donna and Miguel and familiar faces and surroundings.

    It's so funny to hear that Antonio remembers you and me also.

    Say hi to the Martinez's for us. They are such a loving family.
    God is good as we sang the Revelation song as our last song yesterday at church. This was the first song we sang with you in Mexico 3 years ago. I love this song. God is amazing and has wonderful timing. He knew exactly what mom and I needed to hear yesterday.

    Looking forward to hearing about your days ahead. You are off to a great start and God has many plans and blessings ahead for you.

    Praise Him for he is good,

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. APRIL, you're going to be so amazing at this. look at you already making plans. and everyone sounds so cool! i can't wait to talk about everything on skype. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear April Midori,
    Thank you for sharing about your wonderful first few days! They are so full of life and adventure. Praising and praying!! Love, Auntie Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. April Yee,
    Just cheching in to say HI and to see how are YOU are doing? I think of YOU and pray for YOU often.

    --Kirsten,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear from you, April! I'm sorry I wasn't able to be present for your send-off Sunday at church. Thank you for keeping us posted on your blog. I will subscribe and be reading along w/ you!

    ReplyDelete