28 September 2013

Te Acostumbras

For the past two weeks there have only been two volunteers in the house, so it's been a nice and chill time. I've been reflecting a lot on what it means to adjust to life here in Mexico. While I would certainly admit that the life I live now is one of relative extravagance, and that I lack nothing that I need, there are small things here and there that, though they be small, are still adjustments nevertheless.
 
Things I've learned (mostly) the hard way:
 
· The freshest and cheapest eggs are available at the pollería on Canal Street, where they keep whole raw chickens out on the counter, ready to butcher. However, they are closed on Sundays.
· It is shameful to be seen in public with unkempt hair, rumpled clothing or in sweats.
· It’s common for men to wear backpacks but for some reason, women don’t. Women also don’t wear shorts or capris if they can help it.
· I can fit exactly three pairs of jeans in my sink to wash them. Laundry day for jeans is every fourth day.
· The public library closes at 7:00pm and the post office closes at 4:30pm on weekdays.
· When it rains really hard, the pilot light on the water heater may go out and need to be re-lit. I learned this after two days of cold showers.
· Before going to the kitchen to prepare dinner, apply bug spray liberally. Mosquitos will bite the arch of your foot if you so give them the opportunity.
· When in a public place, remember that using the bathroom will cost you three or four pesos.
· Commodities that only non-Mexicans would buy are subject to extreme price discrimination, so choose wisely: peanut butter is $8, women’s shaving cream is $9, a bar of dark chocolate is $4, Prego spaghetti sauce is $6, tofu is $5 and shoga is $5.
· Good luck finding cheddar cheese anywhere.
I think to myself at times about my life of luxury and convenience in the United States. It was definitely a nice life. But in terms of the cost/sacrifice of moving to Mexico, they are far outweighed by my current level of life satisfaction. The fact that I am satisfied with the nature of my work (a delicious mix of administrative, multicultural, multigenerational and social tasks), and the balance of my work and leisure time is huge.
I was commenting to my friend via Skype the other day about the difference between my former job in downtown Seattle and my current job with Casa de los Ángeles in San Miguel de Allende. Since graduating from college I have been seeking a job that will (i) grant me opportunities to use my talents and abilities, (ii) supply my basic needs and (iii) contribute to anti-oppression/social justice work in a way that is ethically compatible with my core values and beliefs.
Ladies and gentlemen, I think I may have hit the mother lode here because so far, all three criteria have been met if not surpassed in my past five weeks on the job. What can I say? I am happy here.
Little hassles here and there aside, I’m pretty freaking sure that this is exactly where I am supposed to be. Thank you, Lord!

2 comments:

  1. wow. you are a trooper. i'm glad you figured out the thing with the water-heater, haha. nice to hear that you're well and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. .Theologian Frederick Buechner wrote this: “Vocation is where our greatest passion meets the world’s greatest need.” I would add to that: our ministry is the intersection of our passion and the world’s greatest need.
    Some guy wrote this....sounds like you found the intersection, Abril!

    ReplyDelete