19 June 2010

First Impressions, Etc.

"I love you O Lord, my strength" (Psalm 18:1).


So I'm here! My flight got in around 11:30pm GMT followed by an hour an a half car ride. Woke up this morning and realized I was in another country, on my own. Some first sounds: Elvis' music being blasted by a truck passing by, footsteps on the cobblestone road, Spanish spoken rapidly. The roof of where I am staying looks out upon the city
 
as well as the porches of neighbors. Mistaking the man next door as an American my "good morning" was met with a "buenos días" instead.
It's been nice to not have an agenda and to be able to settle in and explore. The woman who owns the "casita" lives downstairs so she gave me directions to the local mercado so I could get some groceries. Had to come back to get clarified directions after wandering a bit. :) The women at the market were really nice to me--I mean, they totally could have ripped me off and I would never have known..but they picked out the produce for me and one lady even threw in two limes to go with my "pepino" (cucumber)! Here are the spoils, all for under $10 (plus I got toilet paper!)

not pictured: grapefruit!

Also walked to the central plaza in the "downtown" area of San Miguel. I stopped in at a couple of the churches and just GAWKED. They have huge oil paintings, enormous vaulted ceilings, gold filigree. My favorite so far has been the Templo de la Inmaculada Concepción, which was quiet with only a few people praying. The most famous one, La Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel was full of tourists who were totally interrupting the wedding that was going on! The most interesting thing about all the churches was that they had life size figures of Jesus, Mary and many other saints.

Thank you so much, again, for all of your prayers, emails and blog comments! Sometimes I catch myself getting afraid because everything is so new and challenging, but then I remember that the Lord is my strength! Plus, he has given me a fun blessing--an unexpected companion:


I think Kay said his name is "Tito" or something? Anyway, he really likes to be petted. Meows and meows and meows for some T.L.C. I tried to get him to calm down so I read the Bible out loud in Spanish and it actually seemed to work!

Anyway, it's time to eat dinner! Good ol' rice & beans (they're "peruano").

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great pictures, April! Wow, to already go to a mercado and to see the sights in Mexico. So interesting about the tourists - do most of them seem American? Your dinner looks delicious, and the groceries look so fresh and healthy. I'll bet the women at the mercado and your landlord lady are going to become your "guardian angels". With love, Auntie S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it fine to your destination and are having a chance to settle in. Sounds like you have a lot to take in because it's all so new to you. But I'm also sure that much of it will quickly grow in familiarity. Thanks for including photos, too. Of course, we'll continue to pray for you. --Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo proud of you, april! i love the pics and your great descriptions. thanks for updating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April ... we were all so thankful to hear you made it safely and are settling in. Love your blog! Praying for you as you begin your first full week. We know you will be a blessing to all those you meet. You're writing is muy bien! Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds and looks amazing! i hope we can skype soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this great update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS SO EXXCITINGGGG.

    your little house is so freaking adorable. it looks so sunny and cheerful. there's even a little bike out front, aaaaaahhh.

    i'm so glad tito was there for you, hahaha. he's so cute. he'll listen to anything you have to say. :)

    the market sounded really exciting! those ladies are really nice. you'll probably be getting to know them pretty well soon.

    impressed by your cooking skills as usual.

    miss you already. hope your first weekend was wonderful.

    we'll have to skype when you have time for a breather, k?

    ReplyDelete