03 September 2010

Back in the PNW


"You are going to wake up and think to yourself, 'I'm in Mexico'--but you won't be anymore."

-Miguel, director of Hogar de los Angeles, on returning home after volunteering

I've been back in Federal Way since Sunday.. Wow. My last week in Mexico seriously whipped on by. I think somewhere in the back of my mind I have this delusional thought that tomorrow I will magically wake up in San Miguel, walk north two blocks down 28 de abril norte, duck through the entrance of the daycare in the early-morning cold and see the smiling faces of the teachers, moms and children. But there is a time for everything, and the time for me to be in Seattle is now.

I think I'm getting better at saying goodbyes. I mean, it's certainly sad because I wish I could have stayed longer. I wish I could have had more time with my favorite kids, playing and laughing at their antics, chatting and reading them stories. I wish I could have had more afternoons talking with Marisol while the kids slept, sprawled out with their shoes tossed hither tither around the perimeter of the mattresses. I wish I could have gone to worship service this Sunday instead of getting airsick in a jet. But the best thing is that God is going to continue doing marvelous things in San Miguel--the only bummer is that I won't be there to witness them. :) He's got Hogar de los Angeles, Gente con Proposito, all the people that I met down there--in his hands. So it wasn't that bad receiving my last hugs from Beto and Yoselin, and saying bye to Marisol.


My favorite goodbye was our last full day in San Miguel, which was Saturday. I asked my parents if we could go to the orphanage to see Fernando, Angel and Erik. It was so nice to see them! Fernando was still in isolation, but he came out to see me and we sung a few songs.. Got to push Erik around on a tricycle and he adorably pointed out and introduced to me all his older friends. Angel, as usual, went #2 in his pants and had to go get changed, but as soon as he was clean again was smiley as ever, spinning on the merry-go-round with the other boys.

As we were walking away down the dirt road I heard Ángel’s little voice cry out, “¡Abril!” I turned around and through the chain link fence I could see him on the playground, standing on the big toy, waving at me. “¡Adios!” he cried, waving to me. “Adios, Ángel,” I replied, smiling. “¡Abril!” he yelled again. “¡Adios!” It was such a happy goodbye and the image of him waving and smiling will stay in my memory forever.

What a special time, being in Mexico for 10 weeks. What more can I say? It was awesome.

Where to next?? :)

1 comment:

  1. aw, april, i'm so glad you're adjusting to being back home...the more good-byes you say the more you kinda get used to it i think...though there's always a little grieving process.

    where to next? hmmm...japan?! :) actually, i could see you going back to mexico more (or maybe another third world country like thailand? or somewhere in africa?!) God will lead you!

    ReplyDelete