"So you're back from Mexico."
"Yep, I'm back back."
"Weren't you going to be there a long time?"
[pause]
"I had hoped to but..."
"But God said no."
-------------------------------
It was very sad to leave Mexico but it wasn't necessarily a difficult decision. Multiple trials hitting at the same time made it such that continuing to live in San Miguel de Allende simply was not an option. All I could do was pack my bags and count down the minutes until I could make my way back to Seattle.
The few weeks leading to my departure I was weeping, sobbing, each day. I hadn't considered leaving Mexico even an option, but once I received permission from God to go, I cried out of relief and the rest happened very quickly.
I really thought that being in Mexico was my calling from God... but learned somewhat painfully that God had something else in mind for me. "It is time to live into your calling," He said, and with a broken but willing heart I've returned to Seattle to do just that.
Following God isn't necessarily glamorous. It includes failures and disappointments. I watched things I'd hoped for crumble to pieces and all I could do was cry. Sometimes the correction of God can be really painful.
I have good days and bad days. I still cry and wonder where God will take me, or if he's taking me anywhere at all. I get tears in my eyes when people ask me if I'm working or what I'm doing to get a job. I just don't have an answer for them.
One thing I know for sure: God is doing a complete work in me. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:4-5). And for that I can be thankful.
I'll continue to share my reflections every once and awhile on my regular blog: http://aprilmidoriyee.blogspot.com. Thank you for following me on this journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment