22 April 2010

Metas (Goals)

A required activity for the internship program is to create goals for my time in Mexico. I have to say, I am not really much of a "goal" sort of person, thinking that goals are too "linear" and "Western." ;-) However, I hope they will prove helpful in providing a framework and structure to guide my work.


IE3 INTERNSHIP GOALS

Professional Development

1. Apply anti-oppressive social work theory to my interactions with the children and the mothers, to treat them with dignity and respect, to acknowledge their agency, to empower them and foster growth based on their desires and strengths

2. Understand the children and women within their context--the different systems they are a part of that affect their situation--family dynamics, community, economic/political forces, culture, resources and economic constraints, spirituality & personal values

3. Learn from staff workers and Donna (the founder) how they approach their work, how the non-profit operates financially, organizational logistics, team work and cooperation among co-workers

Personal Development

1. Learn to live independently, navigate an unknown space without my natural social supports physically present (parents, family, friends, mentors, church)

2. Develop confidence in speaking Spanish as much as possible, quitar el miedo de equivocarme (get rid of the fear of making mistakes)

3. Persevere when encountering difficulties--with culture shock, language barriers, challenges at work/burnout, loneliness

Cross-Cultural Understanding

1. Become better aware of my cultural identity, establish it further and become secure in it

2. Gain an understanding, respect for and appreciation of Mexican culture in a manner that is NOT generalized or oppressive, but rather form a holistic and insightful awareness regarding the Mexican people

3. Be aware of the challenges of cross-cultural work and do my best to work through them, use resources back home (social workers @ Consejo Counseling & Referral Service, students and faculty at UW School of Social Work) and locally (founder Donna Quathamer and other volunteers) to consult with

2 comments:

  1. Dear April,
    I am SOOO excited for you! Congratulations on your acceptance into the School of Social Work! Such great news.

    I just finished watching the vimeo about Casa de Los Angeles. I wish I was young like you so I could join you - the children are just adorable and I know you have so much to offer them. Uncle Ron and I will pray for you on a regular basis. Do you know how long it takes for mail to reach you?
    Love,
    Auntie Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Auntie Sharon,

    The lady whose house I'm renting said it takes a couple of weeks at least to get down there. :)

    ReplyDelete